- coherence and complementarity of training, research and scientific activities leading to a
materials science centre as such,
- optimising the availability of existing modern laboratories, work- and conference rooms,
- the advantages of scaling-up through the coordination of common activities and services,
- undertaking of larger projects, establishing central facilities,
- build a "figure-head" for the high-level materials science research at the Ghent University,
- realising a multidisciplinary approach.